While ‘FOMO’ — also known as ‘fear of missing out’ — doesn’t sound like a technical term, anyone who has felt it knows it’s real. Your customers are more likely to act when they know that a product or offer is only available for a limited time. You can use this to your advantage to build tension in your email and SMS marketing campaigns and create a sense of urgency that compels them to act.
Personalized email and SMS marketing campaigns tap into your customers’ FOMO and persuade them to take action quickly before the opportunity disappears forever.
For example, if you are running a sale, you can let your customers know that they can buy products at a discount for a limited time only or that the offer will only be available to the first people who sign up. You can ramp up the FOMO even further using a timer that counts down until the sale ends. This incentivizes people to take action immediately and maximizes your sales.
- A customer visits your website and signs up for your email or SMS list.
- You are running a sale on your website.
- A sale you are running is about to come to an end.
- A customer visits your website, adds items to their cart, and then leaves without purchasing.
- Keeping your email and SMS lists clean and regularly removing inactive users and spam traps are important for maintaining your business’s reputation. Luckily, our Reactivate Tool helps to keep your list up to date. Just upload a .CSV file of your email or SMS list, and the Reactivate Tool will clean it and hand it back to you so you can confidently send emails and SMS messages.
- Incentivize people to sign up to your email or SMS lists by offering limited-time discounts that they can only access once they have signed up.
- Once a customer has signed up to your email or SMS list, send them an email or SMS to confirm their subscription and offer an incentive, such as free shipping or an exclusive discount.
- Use waiting lists to build hype around upcoming offers.
- Use countdown timers to build excitement for new launches and tension before the end of the sale.
- Display two prices for your products — one for regular customers and one for special customers who have signed up to your SMS or email list.
- Flash sales instill a sense of panic that makes your customers feel like they must act immediately before the opportunity runs out. They can last anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days.
- Send a 'last chance' SMS message or email at the end of a sale to remind people that the sale is ending soon and that they could miss out.
- Tease new products and build tension to create excitement before release.
- When a customer adds an item to their cart on your website and then leaves without making a purchase, send an email or SMS message to remind them that they have abandoned their cart and that the items are still available.
- Gifts and offers of free shipping are great FOMO triggers. Put unique codes into your emails that are redeemable the next time your customers buy something from your store or website.
- Getting people to open your texts and emails is half the battle. Use FOMO in your subject lines to encourage people to open them using phras