You can integrate your Retention.com account directly with Customer.io.
An integration between Retention.com and Customer.io does three things:
- Automatically sends contacts acquired in your Retention.com account to Customer.io.
- Automatically suppresses existing contacts in your Customer.io account.
- Ability to set up custom filters to sync filters (ie, send leads from different domains to different lists or ESPs).
What you’ll need
Your Site ID, Tracking API Keys: API Key, and App API Keys – API Key.
1. To find your Site ID and Tracking API Key: API Key, click your account name in the top-right corner, and then click Account settings. Below Settings, click API Credentials.
2. From the Tracking API Keys section, click Create Tracking API Key. You will need to give it a Name and choose a Workspace from the dropdown menu. Then, your Site ID and Tracking API Keys: API Key will appear for you to copy.
3. To find your App API Keys: API Key, click App API Keys at the top. Then, click Create App API Key.
4. Give the App API Key a Name and choose a Workspace from the dropdown menu. Then, click Create App API Key.
5. A pop-up box will show you your new App API Key for you to copy.
6. We also recommend you create the Segment you’d like to sync your contacts in Customer.io with before finalizing the integration. You can do this under Segments > Create Segment > Create Manual Segment. (Only Manual Segments will display in Retention.com.)
To get started
1. Click on Integrations from the left navigation panel in Retention.com. Then, click Available Integrations at the top and choose the Customer.io icon.
2. Paste your Site ID, Tracking API Keys: API Key, and App API Keys – API Key and click Connect.
3. Set up your Contact Suppression. Once you enable automatic suppression, Retention.com will sync your regular, opt-in list from your ESP and add it to your Retention.com suppression list. This prevents you from paying for contacts you already have. Once you’ve enabled this option, the sync will run daily at 6 p.m. EST.
Choose either YES or NO to suppress contacts. Daily contact suppression will load all of your contacts from Customer.io into your Retention.com suppression list and will automatically import new contacts every day into your suppression list.
You will need to create your Recent contacts Segment ID. From your Customer.io dashboard, click Segments on the left-hand side. Then, click Create Segment.
Name the segment in the Name text box, and click Create Data-driven Segment.
Choose these filters — All > Attribute > email > exists — and click Save Changes.
Copy the number that comes after /segments (and before /overview) in the URL. That is your Segment ID. Paste it into the box.
When you’re finished, click Next.
4. Then, decide if you want to upload your collected contacts by choosing either Yes/No. If you choose to sync your contacts, you will then need to choose a Segment to sync them to. Pick a Segment from the drop-down menu. Then, choose whether you want to enable custom sync options.
If you check the box to enable custom sync options, that will display four options: filter by email domain, full or portion of a landing page URL, landing page domain, and state.
This feature allows you to filter your Retention.com contacts before you send them to your ESP. For example, you can send all contacts who hit different landing pages to separate lists. Or, send all of your California leads to one ESP and Texas leads to another.
Email domain: This field auto-fills/populates with email domains (ex. Gmail, Yahoo Mail, AOL, etc.) from your collected contacts.
Full or portion of a landing page URL: If you’ve put the script on several pages or the entire site, this field allows you to pull out contacts who have only hit Landing Page A or Landing Page B. This option does not auto-populate, so you will have to add in the exact URL.
Landing page domain: If you added script to both Retention.com and Robly.com, for example, the landing page domain would be either Retention.com or Robly.com. This field will auto-populate.
State: This filter allows you to pull out only contacts from one or more states.
When you’re finished, click Next.
6. Choose whether or not you want to enable the Customer.io integration now. Once you enable the integration, your suppression and collection sync settings will apply and begin. Then, click Finish.
6. Once the integration is complete, you will see the integration date, API details, contact suppression, and contact sync options. You can also Remove the integration from this page at the top.
Change the sync’d Segment
1. To change the Segment you’ve synchronized with, click Integrations > Dots > Settings.
2. Click the pencil icon next to Contact Sync. Click Yes next to Upload collected contacts if you haven’t already. Then, choose a new Segment from the dropdown menu. You can also adjust your custom sync options here. Click Save. (Your integration must be Enabled to choose a Segment in Contact Sync.)
Remove the integration
1. To remove the integration, click Integrations > Dots > Remove.
1. To change your contact suppression preferences, click Integrations in the left-hand navigation. Then, click the three dots next to the integrated program and select Settings.
2. Click the pencil/edit icon next to Contact Suppression.
3. Click Yes to automatically suppress your contacts. Then, choose whether you want to suppress daily or just this (single) time. When you’re done, click Save. We recommend you use daily sync.
You can view your daily sync history under Sync Summary on your integration page. It will show you the date, number of completions, if there are any failures, and the number that are in the queue.
To access all of your sync history, click View Full History under Sync Summary. If there’s a failure, it will show the email address, what type of failure has occurred under ESP Feedback, and the date and time of the failure.
If you have questions about the error message, you can contact support at support[at]retention[dot]com.