You can integrate your GetOpeners account directly with Mailchimp.
An integration between GetOpeners and Mailchimp allows you to sync live open events so you can send your audience an automated email when they are in their inbox.
What you’ll need
1. Your Mailchimp API key and to create a Segment. This can be found in Mailchimp by clicking your profile photo/name and then clicking Account.
2. Click Extras and then API keys.
3. Scroll down to Your API keys, and copy the API key. If you don’t have one, click Create a Key.
4. To create a segment for your unengaged list refresh (optional), go to Audience > Segments > Create Segment.
5. You must use a Regular Segment—not an Advanced Segment—when creating the segment. (Advanced Segments are only available with Pro plans.)
6. Set your segment to Contacts match all of the following conditions > Campaign Activity > did not open > All campaigns sent within the last 3 month (you can change this setting based off of your unengagement parameters).
Then, Add the second one to Campaign Activity > did not click > All campaigns sent within the last 3 months.
Click Preview Segment.
6. Give the segment a name, and click Save.
To get started
1. From your GetEmails dashboard, click the GetEmails logo in the top-left corner.
2. The drop-down menu will appear. Click GetOpeners. You will be taken to the GetOpeners dashboard.
3. Click on Integrations from the left navigation panel in GetOpeners. Then, click Available Integrations at the top and choose the Mailchimp icon.
4. Paste your API Key in the box, and click Connect.
5. Click Yes to turn the Sync Live Open Events on. Choose a list from the drop-down menu that you want to sync events to. If you don’t have one, you’ll need to first create the list in Mailchimp. Give it an Event (Tag) name in the box. If the Tag you type doesn’t already exist in Mailchimp, it will automatically be added. Then, click Next.
NOTE: GetOpeners will automatically add contacts to your list/audience if they are not already in the chosen list/audience.
6. Enter an email address that already exists in Mailchimp to send a test event. Click Send. If you don’t currently have contacts, click Next.
7. Set up the unengaged list renewal to automatically refresh your unengaged list once a month by clicking Yes. Choose a list from the Select your List drop-down. (The unengaged segment option won’t appear until you choose a list.) Then, Select your Unengaged Segment you created (see instructions on how to create that above). Click Next.
8. Enable the integration. Then, click Finish.
Remember: For the integration to be on, it needs to be Enabled AND have Event Sync turned on (choose “Yes”).
9. You will be taken to Integration Settings. This is where you can Disable/Enable the integration, Remove it, edit your Event Sync settings, and edit your Unengaged List Refresh.
10. After you set up the integration, this event will show up below Tags in the top-right corner of the contact information.
How to send a test event
1. From your Integration Settings, click the edit icon next to Event Sync. Once you have your Sync events to List and Event (Tag) selected, click Send Test Event.
2. Paste an email address that already exists in Mailchimp to send a test event. Click Send.
How to change Event Sync
If you want to edit or enable/disable your Event Sync, you can do that in your Integration Settings.
1. Go to Integrations. Then, click the three dots next to the integration name, and click Settings.
2. Click the pencil icon next to Event Sync.
3. You can choose if you want to Synchronize collected events by toggling between Yes/No. To change the Sync events list, choose one from the drop-down menu. You can also change the Event (Tag).
4. When you’re finished making your changes, click Save.
How to change unengaged list refresh
1. From your Integration Settings, click the pencil next to Unengaged List Refresh.
2. Turn the refresh on/off by clicking Yes/No. Select your list from the drop-down menu.
3. All of the segments from within the list you chose will appear in the Unengaged Segment drop-down menu. After you select a segment, click Save.
4. Remember, the refresh will run exactly one month from the day you turn it on.
How to remove the integration
To remove an integration, go to Integrations. Then, click the dots next to the integration name, and click Remove.
You can view your daily sync history under Sync Summary on your integration page. It will show you the date, number of completions, if there are any failures, and the number that are in the queue.
To access all of your sync history, click View Full History under Sync Summary. If there’s a failure, it will show the email address, what type of failure has occurred under ESP Feedback, and the date and time of the failure.
If you have questions about the error message, you can contact support at support[at]getemails.com.